27.5.11

Goodbye Dad






















In the early hours of last Tuesday morning my Dad's 8 year battle with cancer came to a peaceful end.

Today my family and I, along with a few friends, said our last goodbyes.

In a beautiful service, which was led by our pastor, we celebrated the life of a quiet achiever who had packed a lot of living into one lifetime.

I was able to get through a eulogy, although it was a struggle towards the end. It highlighted a truly Australian story of someone growing up during the depression years. In one of the proudest moments of my life, my two children spoke of the fond memories they had and the influence that their Pop had had on their lives. A musical and vocal tribute of "What a Wonderful World" was delivered by a family friend over a slide show of images from the 1940's to Christmas last year. There were not too may dry eyes in the chapel.

Another railway man has clocked off for the last time. I will miss you Dad.

Roy Laker 24/7/1924 - 24/5/2011 (86)
(Eveleigh Locomotive Workshops 1961 - 1989)

8 comments:

  1. My deepest sympathy, Gary. I'm sorry to hear of your loss.
    James Dalton

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gary,
    My condolences to you and your family. My thoughts are with you during this time of loss.

    Lance

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gary

    You and yours are in our thoughts.

    Ray and Chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gary,
    Terribly sorry to hear about your loss. My condolences to you and your family.

    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gary, I don't think anything can prepare you for the loss of a parent. I do wish you all the best at this difficult time. When things are not so raw, the pride and love for your Dad will shine through and make things a little easier. Thanks for sharing something so personal, he would be proud the man you are.

    Geoff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Geoff for your kind words. You are quite correct regarding being prepared. Even after 8 years of 'preparing' it was still like having a limb torn off.

    My sincere thanks to all those who have left words of support here. A week on today and the pain has eased a touch. Now the paper trail begins.... :-(

    ReplyDelete
  7. My condolences to you and your family, Gary. No matter how much time we have--no matter how long we have to prepare--there just isn't time to say all the things you want to. Hold onto your best memories of times with Dad and keep them close to your heart.

    Your Dad looked like a kind gentleman, Gary. I'm sure he was as proud of you as you were of him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Blair, your words are so true and I will certainly try.

    He was a kind fella, one of the most generous people I have known.....but watch out if you got into his 'bad books' !

    ReplyDelete